Mission Statement

The Sea Biscuit Wildlife Shelter cares for injured or orphaned birds. We provide minimum medical care, safety from predators, food and shelter from the elements. When an animal is able to care for itself, it is released to the wild. We do not keep nonreleasable animals nor use heroic methods to sustain the quality of their life. However, the Shelter does make every effort to rehabilitate an endangered species and every animal brought here is treated with respect and caring.

Support our Shelter

We receive no federal or state funding.
The Sea Biscuit relies on donations from the Town of Oak Island, individuals and private businesses. To support the rehabilitation of wild birds, field studies and educational programs, reach us by phone 910-278-7871 or email: seabiscuitshelter@yahoo.com
Send mail to 1638 East Beach Dr, Oak Island, NC 28465

Find us online at

Osprey Rescue

Oak Island has 3 resident ospreys. Two are youngsters and not real sure how they are supposed to catch fish. There is a fishing tournament going on. A King Mackerel Tournament requires the fishermen to use large, live baitfish on two treble hook rigs - one above the other on a wire leader line. The wire line can hold an 80 pound fish. The live baitfish swims on the surface to lure the mackerel
Evidently, this 'teenage' raptor decided that the baitfish looked mighty good to him. He swooped down, grabbed the fish with his 2 inch talons and took off. The fisherman cut the monofilament line (and his rig) and the bird flew away.
The bird attempted to perch in a big pine tree over the Intracoastal Waterway to enjoy his catch. The wire leader tangled in the branches 40' over the waters surface. The branches were thin, flimsy sticks attached to a huge tree on the bank.. a slippery 20 foot cliff. The first branch was 20 feet off the cliff.
A child reported to her dad that a big bird was hanging like a bat from this big tree....10 phone calls later, Mary Ellen, with net and gloves and advice and determination called EMS volunteers Niki and Thomas Cutler. They called assistant fire chief Danny Kiser. Danny called Captain Bobby Carmon who brought a long pole designed to move high power lines. The local dog catcher contributed ropes and a telescoping branch trimmer. After calls to a hook and ladder truck requesting search lights and duct tape to attach the tree trimmer to the power line pole, the bird was finally in hand.
NO serious damage done...lots of superficial puncture wounds to legs and feet... lots of monofilament line wrapped around his wings and legs. After the obligatory photo session with his rescuers, the osprey came to the Sea Biscuit, got a tummy full of pedialyte and a pain killer. He was put in a kennel with a heating pad under it and a towel over it. His wounds were cleaned and bandaged in the morning. He should make a full recovery. On Sunday morning, the osprey was ready for release. Two bald eagles witnessed the release.